Thursday, October 6, 2011

Action Reseach: What I've Learned So Far

This week, I've begun to read literature about action research, a form of research conducted by educational leaders.  Here is a summary of the insight I have gained thus far. 

The Literature
The literature includes Leading with passion and knowledge: The Principal as Action Research by Nancy Fichtman Dana, and Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 steps from analysis to action by Sandra Harris, Stacey Edmonson, and Julie Combs. Additionally, as part of my coursework, I was asked to read an article entitled Action research: An Effective Instructional Leadership Skill for Future Public School Leaders.

What I Learned
Action research is a method used by practitioners in the field of education and involves educational leaders engaging in practices that initiate change for improvement.  Simply put, an educator using action research will participate in identifying a problem, gathering information from multiple resources and implementing adjustment strategies to find solutions.  

Action Research Vs. Traditional Research
Traditional research is generally initiated by university students.  Scholars gather information from theory and existing texts but lack a crucial element--they are not active practitioners in the field.  Action research offers a perspective from "insiders", or educators that can provide practical solutions to practical problems.

The Benefits of Action Research
Action Research allows educators to actively assess their own teaching methods or issues that can hinder learning in the classroom.  By idendtifying these issues, or "wonderings", the educator can gather relevant information and execute the adjustments nessesary that will grant them professioanl growth and student success.

Click on the link below for more insight on Action Research
Action Research in the Classroom

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is very direct and to the point. The literature you have read is the same thing that I have read. I have to question the lierature after seeing something you said. In the last sentence of the blog you state "adjustments nessesary that will grant them professional growth and student success." This is where I have to question the lierature because the action research we do as teachers is always for the success of the student not for professional growth.
    I am taking these courses because in the end it will make me a better teacher which will lead to student success. I am not doing this for professional development.
    Is the author of the literature wrong for suggesting anything other than student success?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you're saying. But I think that student success is achieved when the educator strives professional growth/development. Of course it is not the only way to help student achievement, but professional growth never hurts the classroom.

    When you say you're taking these courses to become a better teacher, you're participating in professional development. This will most definitely lead to student success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog; you must have some experience in this. I look forward to sharing reflections throughout this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sue, likewise! I think this is an excellent way for us to share ideas and comments. I've never had a blog before, unless Facebook count, although I do maintain our school's website.

    ReplyDelete