Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Research Teacher - Course Reflection

I was instantly anxious about taking this course.  Research has always been a scary subject for me.  Numbers, facts, figures and data has always intimidated me as a teacher.  However, the structure of this course has introduced me to research in education in a clear manner and has allowed me to feel comfortable and confident in proceeding with a action research.

The Lectures

  •     Week two stands out the most in reflecting on the lectures.  I found the interviews with Principal Briseno, Dr. Chargois and Dr. Lewis to be very insightful about the action research process.    I particularly found Dr. Chargois to be most insightful. I realized how important it is to protect the student when conducting research.  Additionally, I learned that pedagogy is no longer sufficient.  Educators must also take active roles in conducting research for professional growth.  Teachers must continue to find ways to be innovated and improve.  Student success is directly impacted by the teacher’s action research efforts in the classroom. Dr. Arterbury was also helpful in providing clear details on what was to be expected that week.  I enjoyed his short, yet effective video lectures.  Each week, I knew that his introductions were essential in moving throughout the week’s assignment and readings. 

The Readings

  •     First off, I’d like to state that having “Leading with Passion and Knowledge” by Nancy Dana available in the resource section was extremely beneficial throughout this course.  I referred to her readings often.  The text was easy to read, yet highly informative and relevant. Equally as important was the text, “Examining What We Do to Improve our Schools: 8 Steps from Analysis to Action” by Sandra Harris, Stacey Edmonson and Julie Combs.  This text is crucial for all action research practitioners.  It allowed me to properly develop an effective action research plan. 

Searches

  •     While searches were used to develop my inquiry, I found that discussions with my peers and classmates were most beneficial.  My searches were minimal, but I did find some interesting videos and articles about action research planning, which I was able to share on my blog. 

Assignments and Activities

  •     The assignments allowed me to put what I learned into practice.  I found that all of the assignments were useful for planning my action research plan.  I was during assignment three that I was able to properly map out my action research plan.  It was then that I had developed my inquiry and proceed with the steps needed to conduct and complete the research.  While I understand that the actual plan will be a year long process, I feel confident that the assignments in this course have prepared me for my first action research plan.  The assignments also directed me to meet with my site supervisor and build a relationship based on advisement.

Discussion Boards

  •     One of the primary ways I was able to learn was through the advice and feedback from my Research for Teachers classmates.  I looked forward to reading the reactions, mostly positive, from my classmates.  Additionally, reading their plans and concerns about their own plans really allowed me to critically reflect on my decisions, methods and implementation strategies.  I learned to appreciate what my classmates had to say about my progress in this course. 

The Blog

  •     By far, this was the most innovated learning strategy. As a first time blogger, I found this to be exciting and resourceful.  I had always been curious about blogs in education--because of the course I have a better insight on how blogging can benefit both teachers and learners.  I thoroughly enjoy posting my own reflections as well as reading my classmates’.  Besides the obvious benefit of modeling the significance of written expression, blogs can serve as a very useful tools for educators--specifically educational leaders.  They have the potential to serve as an interactive learning diary that allows aspiring educational leaders to reflect on their learning process chronologically, participate in an interactive discussion with peers, reading and responding to comments and use images and links to enrich the journal entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment